Stomach cancer is one of the leading causes of cancer among both men and women, worldwide. Stomach cancer is cancer that develops in the inner lining of the stomach. These cells grow and develop into a tumor. Stomach cancer is also called gastric cancer. Cancer in the stomach grows slowly, for many years. If the symptoms of this disease are identified, appropriate treatment can be given to the patient.
According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI), there are more than 20,000 new cases of cancer detected each year. The development of stomach cancer is rare when compared to other types of cancer and it is also difficult to diagnose the disease. As stomach cancer do not show any early signs of cancer, the disease goes unnoticed and is detected only at a later stage when the condition becomes very serious.
TYPES OF STOMACH CANCER
The different types of stomach cancer are:
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
Every individual is different from the other and therefore the signs and symptoms may also vary from person to person. Not all, experience the same signs and symptoms. However, these are a few common symptoms observed in a person suffering from stomach cancer.
- Bloated feeling
- Loss of appetite
CAUSES AND RISK FACTORS
Stomach cancer develops when the normal, healthy cells become cancerous and grow out of control, forming a tumor. This process takes place slowly and the signs and symptoms are usually observed at a later or an advanced stage of cancer.
The factors that increase the risk of developing cancer are:
- Smoking is one of the major causes of developing stomach cancer. Smokers have twice the risk of developing cancer in the stomach when compared to non-smokers.
- A family history of cancer may also increase the risk of developing stomach cancer. An inherited gene in the body may increase the probability of developing the disease in a person’s lifetime.
- Consuming foods that have aflatoxin fungus on it have a risk of developing stomach cancer. Aflatoxin fungus grows on foods like crude vegetable oils, cocoa beans, groundnuts, figs, spices etc
- Following a diet rich in salt, more amount of spices, pickled vegetables, and smoked meat have an increased risk of developing the disease.
- Age is one of the most significant causes of developing the disease. As a person ages, the body and the immune cells become weak and so the body may be affected with various diseases, even stomach cancer. Stomach cancer mostly affects a person after the age of 55 years.
- Men have twice the risk of developing the disease when compared to women.
The following are the various diagnostic tests performed in a person suffering from stomach cancer.
Once the diagnosis confirms the presence of a tumor in the stomach, one or more of the following treatments are performed.